Monday, February 11, 2008

क्राफ्ट्स:Thought process on and will go on

2nd Semester 11:56pm
CRAFTS

Thought process on and will go on…
Right now near to completion of 2nd semester and in this semester and after coming to Indian Institute of Crafts and Design, I found a purpose of living and I am happy to be a young Crafts Designing student.
After so may courses and field trips I learned so many things, facts, issues and n number of things but still when it comes to defining “CRAFT” I find myself too inexperienced and lost in the depth of crafts. Still today will try to define it in my own perception and knowledge which I was able to accumulate so far and understand it. Which might be right or wrong but after all individual perception always varies and there is no such definition for it. And we cannot limit its vastness in a “definition”. It will destroy its beauty and depth.

Crafts or hand made goods were a big source of livelihood in early days next to agriculture and these were there source of income, there life and living. So every place got associated with some or other kind of local handmade goods or say crafts. I mean, I think, I should not use this word until I do not get its meaning straight from my heart, mind and of course soul.
So finally if we see today every state or village is associated with beautiful and unique way of practicing and producing objects of beauty, aesthetic blended with utility or have some or other reasons, history, facts behind it, depending upon the availability of raw materials. Which provided it vastness and made it more rich and vivid…..(J hippi I am getting it…)
Every Crafts unfolds the vastness of its territory saying histories and stories of mankind and the ignition of Idea, the initiator to create things needed at that time.
We did so many field trips and came across so many issues covering social to many sectors. By interacting with craftsperson we learned that we know so little and the experience cannot be expressed in words. Learning and understanding comes from there- Oh my God! Its like fuel to ignite the thought process and to keep it on and on is to again going in field and reaching out to people. Do user testing and to work thoroughly to reach the vision.
Vision- To uplift craftsperson and crafts. To promote as well preserve the old unique way of practicing the crafts. Retaining the uniqueness and aesthetic value of the crafts along with its value additions and innovations. Creating a sustainable Design.
There is a need of doing so many things and as a Crafts Designer student we have this opportunity to make our tag worth of it. To bring changes that is remarkable and sustainable both in craftsman living and crafts.
In the present scenario many Designers have lost the real vision which they should have because it is the responsibility to sustain the old age crafts that are the true Indian beauty and provide livelihood to them who have skills but no platform. Everybody has there own vision and it is my personal thought and only for me to make my living worth, to reach out to people and improves present scenario which is prevailing in crafts sector as well social life of human beings.
I will add up few beautiful and mind blowing and refreshing quotes which ignited my thoughts straight through my heart and made me too impatient to resist thinking about Crafts and me as a Crafts Designer.
Finally it is like a new beginning in understanding. Why I am here and what I am going to be……
It (Design methodology class) completely influenced my perception towards my life.
Path illuminated with thoughts and dreams and reasons and heart + mind + soul as a strength to walk on that path of struggle to make, create a life which is beautiful, peaceful, finally satisfying to soul.







What Maduri ( faculty Design methodology ) pointed out will be there in me forever.




Design: Long chain of interrelated predictions and specifications-John Christopher Jones

Fire- As a metaphor of Design- Ranjan and his students

Design- “Way of living in itself”

“Reason can Dream what Dreams cannot Reason”- Nicholas Snowder

Eventually, everything connects”- Charles Eames

Thought process on and will go on – Subrata Pandey

No comments: